The node.js Community is Quietly Changing the Face of Open Source

Rodrick Brown rodrick.brown at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 12:02:01 EDT 2013

I came across this article which sums up some of the issues I have with
modern programming languages. I've never really looked at Javascript for
anything serious or Node itself but I found this article really
informational.

"The “Batteries included” philosophy of Python was definitely the right
approach during the mid 90’s and one of the reasons that I loved Python so
much; this was a time before modern package management, and before it was
easy to find and install community-created libraries.  Nowadays though I
think it’s counter-productive.  Developers in the community rarely want to
bother trying to compete with the standard library, so people are less
likely to try to write libraries that improve upon it."

http://caines.ca/blog/programming/the-node-js-community-is-quietly-changing-the-face-of-open-source/