Preparing sqlite, dl and tkinter for Python installation (no admin rights)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 17:49:52 EDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 6:34 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 4/18/2013 3:21 PM, James Jong wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Terry. I run the tcl tests and passed them all. There was only one
>> tk test that I think I didn't  pass.
>>
>> One thing I don't understand is that I thought that Python would
>> statically link against sqlite and tcl/tk (I presume that this is the reason
>> why you said I could build it in a similar system and copy it to the
>> supercomputer).
>

> I am not the one who said that. i presume whoever did meant to copy the
> necessary .sos, but I am not using *nix.

I'm the one who was talking about the build/copy. You could manually
copy a bunch of .so, but there's a reasonable chance you wouldn't need
to - in many Linux systems, you have the binary packages for heaps of
things that you don't have the dev libraries (headers, .a files,
whatever) for. At work, we have just one computer on which we build
from C source (which happens to be my personal dev unit as well); all
the other computers - other devs' laptops, staging servers, production
servers - just get binaries deployed directly. There aren't very many
libraries to install on them, as they're fully-functional Linux boxes
already (we use Debian).

It may, of course, be different on your setup, but I figured it was worth a try.

ChrisA