Preparing sqlite, dl and tkinter for Python installation (no admin rights)

rosoloum ribonucleico at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 10:30:14 EDT 2013

I do not have admin rights on my machine and I am trying to build Python
directly from source code. After running:

    ./configure --prefix=/some/path --enable-shared

and then

    make

I get the following:

>     Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules
>     were not found:
>
>     _tkinter           bsddb185           dl    imageop
> sunaudiodev
>
>     To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in
>     detect_modules() for the module's name.
>
>     Failed to build these modules:
>     _sqlite3

I read that `imageop` was deprecated in recent versions of Python and that
`sunaudiodev` is for Sun audio hardware, which I don't need/have.

##sqlite3:

To fix the above, for `sqlite3` I downloaded this file:
http://www.sqlite.org/2013/sqlite-autoconf-3071602.tar.gz
and then run `./configure --prefix=/path/to/sqlite`, `make` and finally
`make install`, and added `/path/to/sqlite/lib` to `LD_LIBRARY_PATH`.

Still this was not enough (I get the same error) Why?

##tkinter and dl:
What about `_tkinter` and  `dl`? How can I have them ready for the Python
installer?

Note: I left a copy of  this thread
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16026348/preparing-sqlite-dl-and-tkinter-for-python-installation-no-admin-rights>
on StackOverflow:.