[TYPES] The type/object distinction and possible synthesis of OOP and imperative programming languages

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 20:00:54 EDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Mark Janssen <dreamingforward at gmail.com> wrote:
> I feel like I'm having to "come up to speed" of the academic
> community, but wonder how and why this large chasm happened between
> the applied community and the theoretical.   In my mind, despite the
> ideals of academia, students graduate and they inevitably come to work
> on Turing machines of some kind (Intel hardware, for example,
> currently dominates).

Modern computers are based on the Von Neumann architecture, not Turing machines.

> If this is not in some way part of some
> "ideal", why did the business community adopt and deploy these most
> successfully?  Or is it, in some *a priori* way, not possible to apply
> the abstract notions in academia into the real-world?

Theory of computation is mostly about determining what kinds of
problems fundamentally can or cannot be solved by computation.  The
models used are designed to be reasoned about, not to be used for
solving real-world programming tasks.