[TYPES] The type/object distinction and possible synthesis of OOP and imperative programming languages

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Apr 19 19:37:38 EDT 2013

In article <517172e7$0$29977$c3e8da3$5496439d at news.astraweb.com>,
 Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
> You might say that, but I find in my experience that Python users don't
> tend to fall for the "No True Scotsman" fallacy anywhere near as often as
> (say) Java or C++ users.

Now that I think about it, I suspect relatively few people learned
Python as their first programming language.

Java, for example, is very popular as a teaching language in colleges
and universities.  There are lots of people who go through a 4-year
program, do all of their coursework in Java, and come out as one-trick
ponies.

There aren't many schools who teach Python as a first (and only
language), but I suppose it's starting to catch on.  5 years from now,
we may see waves of kids graduating from college knowing nothing but
Python, with a similarly narrow view of the universe.