python setup.py install and dependencies

Marco m.b at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 05:24:48 EDT 2013

I have a some confusion about the package installation process.
Let's say I have manually installed Python 3.3, so I don't have
distribute and pip. Now I want to install the bpython shell, so I
download the source code and after I try to do "python3.3 setup.py
install".
I did so, and all it'is ok, but I don't have the dependencies
(pygments), so when I run bpython, Python complains with an ImportError:
No module named 'pygments'.

So I installed distribute, and after I removed and reinstalled bpython,
and now "python3.3 setup.py install" has installed pygments too.

So my question is: if I want "python3.3 setup.py install" installs the
dependencies of a package I need to have distribute?
And pip installs the dependencies because of it uses distribute?

Thanks in advance,
--
Marco