python-noob - which container is appropriate for later exporting into mySql + matplotlib ?

someone newsboost at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 15:42:45 EDT 2013

On 04/13/2013 06:15 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 12:39 AM, someone <newsboost at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 04/13/2013 04:03 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>> Failure at any level means the overall system is not ACID compliant.
>>
>> Roger... But google says sqlite is supposed to be ACID compliant (although
>> maybe not "fully" as you indicate, I'm not sure about this)...
>
> What your Google hits are telling you is that sqlite can (if
> configured correctly) pass level 2. But it doesn't guarantee anything
> about the other levels, so it's easy to have an, uhh, ACID leak.

Ok, thank you very much, this is something I couldn't easily see in the
first place... I think what I should do now is to play a bit with sqlite
and then afterwards, when I'm happy I would begin to play with
postgresql and be very happy with it, knowing that I can (hopefully) use
that for all important projects in the rest of my life :-)

I might also play a bit with mySql, because it's my impression that it
also have a big user-group. But I read that postgresql is MUCH more
"safe" to use (and a bit slower) than postgresql which on the other hand
is VERY safe, being fully ACID-compliant...

>>> You'd have to actually test it. The easiest way is to get two
>>> computers, side by side, and run the database engine on one and a
>>> monitor on the other.
>>
>> Ok, that doesn't sound to be so simple after all...
>
> I gave a fairly wordy run-down of what I tested, but it's actually
> fairly simple in concept: Do a huge bunch of transactions, and keep a
> log of what's returned from the COMMIT query; then pull the power out.

I'll try it (or something similar) out one day in the future and see
what happens with the "corrupted" changes due to pulling out the network
cable while transmitting data...

>> Ok, it would be nice to hear/read the opinion from another in here who've
>> been working (a lot?) with sqlite...
>
> Agreed. I'm sure someone will chime in.
>
>> I'm not so rich, so I prefer to go for a free database solution rather than
>> an expensive license... I've heard good things about oracle and that's also
>> what they used at my previous company, but it's not something I am willing
>> to pay for, from my private/own money for my sparetime-projects...
>
> I concur with Walter's assessment: You want PostgreSQL. It's free/open
> source software (highly permissive MIT-like license), massively
> trusted, and scales up beautifully. (That last one may not be
> significant to you, but it's still good to know your database can
> handle hundreds or thousands of tps on basic hardware.)

I understand that scaling is VERY important and if I could choose
between two "equally" opensource systems and one of them scales better
than the other, I would definately work with the one that scales the
most - that means that I don't have to learn how to use a whole new
system, if I already learnt the system that scales best...

And I just found on google that yahoo runs a HUGE PostgreSQL database...
Very interesting - I'll definately try to play around with postgreSQL at
some time in the future...