python-noob - which container is appropriate for later exporting into mySql + matplotlib ?

someone newsboost at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 15:49:55 EDT 2013

On 04/13/2013 07:02 PM, rusi wrote:
> On Apr 13, 9:15 pm, Chris Angelico <ros... at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Ok, it would be nice to hear/read the opinion from another in here who've
>>> been working (a lot?) with sqlite...
>>
>> Agreed. I'm sure someone will chime in.
>>
>>> I'm not so rich, so I prefer to go for a free database solution rather than
>>> an expensive license... I've heard good things about oracle and that's also
>>> what they used at my previous company, but it's not something I am willing
>>> to pay for, from my private/own money for my sparetime-projects...
>>
>> I concur with Walter's assessment: You want PostgreSQL. It's free/open
>> source software (highly permissive MIT-like license), massively
>> trusted, and scales up beautifully. (That last one may not be
>> significant to you, but it's still good to know your database can
>> handle hundreds or thousands of tps on basic hardware.)
>>
>> ChrisA
>
> Dunno why you guys are ACIDing a hapless python+SQL noob.

That's ok - I'm very interested in hearing/reading this, so don't worry :-)

> As far as I can see he did not even know what ACID was... Just

I think I know it know (maybe not all the details, but generally I know
that it should be ACID-compliant for critical data to avoid corruption
and bad data) :-)

> happened to start with mysql (without evidently knowing the DBMS area)
> and Cousin Stanley's recommendation to step a notch down from mysql to
> sqlite seems to me to be spot-on for his requirement.

Agree - but after that I would like to play with a client/server-system,
so that's also interesting to hear about...

> To the OP:
> Steven is welcome to his views about use of databases.  Good to
> remember that everyone does not agree with him. This includes the
> firefox devs as well as python devs.

Yes, I think I understand this discussion. I'm sorry to hear that the
sqlite-database-files sometimes become corrupted. I haven't experienced
this problem myself (AFAIR), because ~90% of the time I'm on chromium.

> In particular, sqlite in python is quite special.  All the other
> databases have bridge modules to talk from python to the database.
> Which means that python runs and the database runs and the two talk
> asynchronously across the bridge using what is called a 'client-server
> model'. Now client-server is powerful and sophisticated and earlier it

Yes, got it :-)

> was the only option. That is the noob database programmer had to
> grapple with sql (the basic stuff) along with the transaction/ACID
> advanced stuff.

Yep, I understand your intentions...

> Sqlite changed the rules of the game. Sqlite allows programmers to
> play with sql without having to deal with client server headaches at
> the same time.
> Python amplified that change by bundling it with python.
>
> In short Python+Sqlite is a boon for beginners to programming+DBMS

I completely agree with you that Python+Sqlite is really really great...
But soon I'll also move on to using a client/server model and therefore
I also appreciate the other comments/discussion related to e.g. failure
or non-"fully-ACID compliance" of sqlite, which maybe can explain this
firefox problem with corrupted database(s)...

I think I learned a lot from this thread and know what I should be
working on now...