python-noob - which container is appropriate for later exporting into mySql + matplotlib ?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 18:54:28 EDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 8:31 AM, someone <newsboost at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, thank you. I just came across a blog that said pytables is also a very
> good option?
>
> http://www.pytables.org/moin/PyTables?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=non-indexed.png

>From what I gather, that's looking at performance of a non-indexable
query on a 10,000,000-row table. That's going to suck whatever you do,
and the exact level of suckitude doesn't really prove much. (Note that
even the best options are taking half a second for this single query.)

A better test of a database is transactions per second of something
that approximates to your real workload. For instance, English
Wikipedia has roughly a hundred edits per minute (assessed by me just
now by looking at the Recent Changes), and some ridiculous number of
page reads per minute (not assessed, but believed to be somewhere
between 11 and Graham's number); so a test of a proposed new database
would have to mimic this ratio. Most of the queries involved should be
able to be answered using indexes; in some cases, ONLY using the index
(eg if you just want to know whether or not a row exists).

PyTables may well outperform PostgreSQL in real usage, but that one
graph doesn't tell me that. (Not to mention that it's measuring a
somewhat old PG.)

ChrisA