USBLock : lock/unlock your computer with a USB key

Dylan Evans dylan at dje.me
Thu Apr 11 05:20:07 EDT 2013

This looks cool, would actual be pretty useful. I see you did it as a usb
project but probably bluetooth would be better so you could just pair it to
your phone and know that your PC will lock when you walk away.

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 1:21 AM, Sven <svenito at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been working on a little project and have a working Linux
> implementation so far. Basically it allows a user to use any USB stick as a
> key to lock and unlock their computer. More info in the repo or PyPi
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/USBLock
>
> Basically run the program with -a to add a device (added once you insert
> it), then run it without any arguments. Insert the key again, and when you
> remove it your computer will lock. Insert the key again and it will unlock.
> It's not intended to provide military grade security, it's more of a
> convenience tool to launch built in screen locking software.
>
> Currently it locks a Linux box with xlock, pending a better solution.
>
> I wrote it as an exercise in playing around with USB media and events, and
> also because I needed a use for these old USB keys I have lying around :)
>
> Always looking for contributions, suggestions and improvements. Especially
> OS X and Win support.
>
> Repo:
> https://github.com/Svenito/usblock
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> --
> ./Sven
>
> --

"The UNIX system has a command, nice ... in order to be nice to the other
users. Nobody ever uses it." - Andrew S. Tanenbaum