subprocess question re waiting

Dylan Evans dylan at dje.me
Mon Apr 8 08:58:20 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 10:22 PM, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:

> On 04/08/2013 08:01 AM, Dylan Evans wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Alain Ketterlin <
>> alain at dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr
>>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>  loial <jldunn2000 at gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>>  I want to call a child process to run a shell script and wait for that
>>>>
>>> [...]
>>>>
>>> stdin=subprocess.PIPE,stdout=**subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.PIPE,
>>> close_fds=True, shell=True)
>>>
>>> process.wait()
>>>

>> Or use subprocess.call instead which does what you want.

Actually after having a look through the manual i like check_output for
this since it simplifies the code, but some extra exception handling would
be required if the output is still required when the script exits with a
non zero value, so it's a bit of a trade off.

>  -- Alain.
>>> --
>>>

> http://docs.python.org/2/**library/subprocess.html#popen-**objects<http://docs.python.org/2/library/subprocess.html#popen-objects>
>
> or use communicate(), which is what the OP had in the first place.
>

> --
> DaveA
> --

"The UNIX system has a command, nice ... in order to be nice to the other
users. Nobody ever uses it." - Andrew S. Tanenbaum