im.py: a python communications tool

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Fri Apr 12 15:46:13 EDT 2013

Mark Janssen wrote:
> >> It doesn't have to say so, if it's not charging any money -- there's no
> >> expectation that you're getting anything at all!
> >
> > Of course there is. If Oprah Winfrey stands up and publicly says that
> > she's giving you a car, FOR FREE, no strings attached, and then gives you
> > a piece of old bubblegum, you have standing to sue for breach of promise.
> > If she gives you the car, but puts it down as a *prize* rather than a
> > gift, then there is a big, hefty string attached: income tax.
>
> But you see, there's the critical difference.  First of all you're
> making two errors in your comparison.  Firstly, a *person* is saying
> that she's going to *do something for you*.  She's making a promise.
> If I put a piece of software online -- you're taking it!  That's #1
> (!)

Theoretically isn't putting a piece of software "online" akin to
publishing it? Following that logic, then there is the possibility
of arguing an implicit promise that the software does what it is
supposed to. Any bugs would be the responsibility of the developer.

On a separate note, even if the judgment supports your view
and the developer is never responsible for damages, will you
still not be responsible for any court/lawyer fees? And
getting those fees paid by suitor will likely be another court case.

~Ramit