im.py: a python communications tool

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Apr 9 03:38:32 EDT 2013

On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 00:20:27 -0700, Mark Janssen wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:14 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 1:37 PM, Mark Janssen
>> <dreamingforward at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> In the case of free (libre) open source software, such a case would
>>> have no merit, because such software never promises anyone *anything*.
>>
>> If that is the case, it's because the software license explicitly says
>> so - which is the reason for all those uppercase words in those
>> licenses. Which brings us right back to where we started.
>
> It doesn't have to say so, if it's not charging any money -- there's no
> expectation that you're getting anything at all!

Of course there is. If Oprah Winfrey stands up and publicly says that
she's giving you a car, FOR FREE, no strings attached, and then gives you
a piece of old bubblegum, you have standing to sue for breach of promise.
If she gives you the car, but puts it down as a *prize* rather than a
gift, then there is a big, hefty string attached: income tax.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/09/22/news/newsmakers/oprah_car_tax/index.htm

And if she gives you a car, only the brake lines have been disconnected
and you're seriously injured the first time you drive it, you also have
standing to sue that she gave you a car that was unfit for the purpose it
was designed.

> Where does everyone
> come up with these bullshit ideas?

I've been wondering exactly the same thing...

--
Steven