im.py: a python communications tool

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Tue Apr 9 05:18:59 EDT 2013

On 04/09/2013 05:00 AM, Mark Janssen wrote:
>>> By the way, here's where part of the problem stems, right here.  This
>>> notion of that you have to be a lawyer -- as if their some other race or
>>> something.
>>
>> You wouldn't go to a lawyer for advice on the best way to program. You
>> wouldn't go to a car mechanic to ask for the best way to set a broken
>> leg. You wouldn't go to a professional gardener to ask how to fight a
>> land war in Asia.
>
> Yeah and a programmer wouldn't go to a lawyer to GIVE SOMETHING AWAY
> FOR FREE!  I mean I couldn't brainwash this kind of common sense into
> a person.

And the same thinking would say that there's no need to ever change the
oil in a car, just add more when the dipstick gets too low.  And no need
to kill the weeds in a lawn, just keep spreading more grass seed.  And
no need to call a plumber for a leak, just wrap it in lots of duct tape.
  And no need for liability insurance for your house, as nobody's gotten
hurt yet.  And no need to hire a programmer for a payroll program, just
let Jimmy the receptionist write it in his spare time.

I recently talked to a small business entrepreneur who thought she
didn't have to charge or file sales tax, because her business was still
small.  Her accountant told her that was fine.  I told her to ask a lawyer.

Lots of obvious generalizations out there which are wrong, at least some
of the time.

--
DaveA