im.py: a python communications tool

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Tue Apr 9 02:04:27 EDT 2013

On 04/08/2013 11:37 PM, Mark Janssen wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 7:05 PM, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:
>> On 04/08/2013 07:16 PM, Mark Janssen wrote:

>>> Steven, they can't sue you for something they didn't pay for, because
>>> they never entered into an agreement, not did you.
>>>

>> That's a common misconception.  No prior agreement is necessary to institute
>> a lawsuit, at least in the United States.  I'm not a lawyer, but I've been
>> advised that the best you can hope for is to minimize the likelihood that a
>> lawsuit will be successful, not to somehow guarantee that a lawsuit cannot
>> be filed and prosecuted.
>
> Clearly anyone can file a lawsuit, I could file one against you for
> offending me, for example.  The issue I was poorly raising is whether
> such a case would have merit.  In the case of free (libre) open source
> software, such a case would have no merit, because such software never
> promises anyone *anything*.

I'm not a lawyer, and I suspect you're not either.  If a burglar climbs
up my trellis to try to attain a second floor window, and comes crashing
to the ground, he may very well successfully sue me for not having a
warning sign.  Especially if "I" am a company.  And especially if I have
an "attractive nuisance" around.  There are lots of implied agreements
that have been successfully used by the opposing lawyers.

   But someone would have to make the case
> and "train" the court.  The court simply has not become appraised of
> what free, libre, open source software is.

Now you're assuming that there is such a definition, and that the court
could be convinced to follow your interpretation.  I claim that no
amateur should try to word his own agreement.  Either get an expert to
help, or refer to an agreement that was prepared by such experts.  Don't
make the assumption that because something is free, it's somehow immune
from liability.

I expect it's safer to have no agreement at all, than to have one that
gives away privileges without explicitly declaring or disclaiming any
responsibilities.

>  Really, one shouldn't be
> so afraid of such things and intimidated of our own system of law --
> this is why the republic has degraded to lawyers, not representatives
> of the People.  If a hospital takes your open source code and someone
> dies, the hospital must be

No, *should* *be*

--
DaveA