im.py: a python communications tool

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Mon Apr 8 22:05:45 EDT 2013

On 04/08/2013 07:16 PM, Mark Janssen wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Steven D'Aprano
>> On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 14:47:11 -0700, jhunter.dunefsky wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, my current licence can be found here:
>>> https://github.com/jhunter-d/im.py/blob/master/LICENCE.  Whaddaya think
>>> about this, Useneters?
>>

>> I think you're looking for a world of pain, when somebody uses your
>> software, it breaks something, and they sue you. Your licence currently
>> means that you are responsible for the performance of your software.
>
> Steven, they can't sue you for something they didn't pay for, because
> they never entered into an agreement, not did you.

That's a common misconception.  No prior agreement is necessary to
institute a lawsuit, at least in the United States.  I'm not a lawyer,
but I've been advised that the best you can hope for is to minimize the
likelihood that a lawsuit will be successful, not to somehow guarantee
that a lawsuit cannot be filed and prosecuted.

Besides, an open-ended license might be acted on anywhere in the world,
and who knows what some other jurisdictions might permit/require.

--
DaveA