im.py: a python communications tool

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Apr 5 21:07:21 EDT 2013

In article
<bc3d27b1-fdf6-4931-bf11-38ac36a0f0b0 at cd3g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,
 Jake D <jhunter.dunefsky at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the licence?
> --It's released under a special FOSS licence.  Here it is:
> ----You can do whatever you want with this program.

I know this is off-topic, but I encourage people to NOT invent their own
licenses.  Take your pick of any of the well-known (Berkeley, MIT, GPL,
etc) licenses, and use that.

I used to work for a very large corporation.  The legal department was
(quite reasonably) concerned about use of FOSS, and all open source
software we used needed to pass legal review.

They were looking for two things.  First, that the license didn't
obligate the company to anything it didn't want to be obligated to (i.e.
they wouldn't allow GPL3).  Second, that YOU understood the terms of the
license and had a plan in place to comply with all the requirements.

The lawyers knew all the major licenses.  If you showed up with
something that was known (and acceptable) to them, the process was quick
and (relatively) painless.  If you showed up with some license they had
no experience with, they would go off into a huddle and not come out
until they were sure they understood it.

The usual result was that anything that came with a one-off license was
probably more trouble to get approved than it was worth.