I hate you all

Dylan Evans dylan at dje.me
Sat Apr 6 23:00:19 EDT 2013

Then you see my point, unless you are being told what to use by a boss then
there are plenty of other languages you can choose from. Python is rigid
about it's format, that's just what it is and a lot of people like it but
if it's not your thing then some other language will probably suit you
better. However, if you are working for a company, or OSS project, you are
probably going to have your style dictated whatever language you use, for
example the 2 space indents (*shudder*) that google uses in c++
http://google-styleguide.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/cppguide.xml?showone=Spaces_vs._Tabs#Spaces_vs._Tabs
(Interestingly
google use 4 space indents in python for compatibility with PEP-8
http://google-styleguide.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/pyguide.html?showone=Indentation#Indentation
)

You probably won't like everything in a project style but it's not about
being tyrannical, and it's not a bad thing to have restrictions at the
language level.

I work for a company with a load of lagacy c formatted as follows:

int many_many_globals;
int func(int iFoo,int iBar)
{
int var = 10;
if(iBar>1)
    {
    var=iFoo+many_many_globals;
    }
return var;
}

So i am pretty happy to adopt a language which defines a sane style.

This is a nice flame war you have stirred up.

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 3:13 PM, <terminatorul at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, April 6, 2013 7:28:55 AM UTC+3, Dylan Evans wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 7:41 AM,  <termin... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello
> >

> > I just tried python 3.3 with some simple script meant for unit test.
> >
> > How can python authors be so arrogant to impose their tabs and spaces
> options on me ? It should be my choice if I want to use tabs or not !
> >

> > Don't like it? Use ruby.
>

> Actually next on my list is perl. I know ruby is sexy, but taming the wild
> beast is what makes me feel like the real cowboy.
> --

"The UNIX system has a command, nice ... in order to be nice to the other
users. Nobody ever uses it." - Andrew S. Tanenbaum