I hate you all

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Tue Apr 9 17:43:59 EDT 2013

On 2013-04-09, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Where's the fun in that? :)
>>
>> What, you don't think sed is fun?
>
> Having never really used a *nix box in anger how would I know?  A
> substantial portion of my career was spent on a combination of VMS,

That's no excuse -- DECShell for VMS included sed!  :)

I spent many months months writing a set of shell-scripts and
makefiles that used awk, sed, and their brethren to do automated
testing and building of an 1100 page document that was written in
LaTeX.  It was all on a VMS system.  Unfortunately, the massive
process-creation overhead of VMS hit shell-scripts pretty hard -- a
full V&V run and document build took something like 7 hours.  We
usually only ran it overnight.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! FROZEN ENTREES may
                                  at               be flung by members of