I hate you all

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Apr 9 19:21:19 EDT 2013

On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 23:09:19 +0100, Mark Lawrence wrote:

> On 09/04/2013 22:09, Walter Hurry wrote:
>> On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 16:51:26 +0100, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>>> Having never really used a *nix box in anger how would I know?  A
>>> substantial portion of my career was spent on a combination of VMS, C
>>> with embedded SQL and Ingres.  Please don't ask as I don't know the
>>> answer :)
>>
>> Anti-virus, anti-malware, defragmenters, registry cleaners, needing to
>> reboot every time I install or update software?
>>
>> No grep, no awk, no sed?
>>
>> No thanks.
>>
>> But never mind; each to his own. I don't want to spark OS wars.
>>

> I haven't the faintest idea what your response means so please explainn.

Walter is pointing out that as a Windows user, you probably have to deal
with problems that Unix users are barely even aware of, like viruses, the
registry, having to reboot after installing software, etc., and you are
missing out on oodles of useful and powerful tools like grep. He finds
your decision to use Windows curious, but respects your decision to use
it and doesn't want to get into an unproductive war over which is the
best OS.

--
Steven