I hate you all

Larry Hudson orgnut at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 6 16:17:12 EDT 2013

On 04/05/2013 10:36 PM, Timothy Madden wrote:

[snip...]

> 8-character tab stops should be the default. Debating that is I believe another topic, and
> compatibility with python2 should be enough to make that debate unnecessary.

As everyone keeps telling you -- there is NO default tab size.  Default implies there is an
OFFICIAL definition, there is none.  There is, however, convention -- which is merely a common
suggestion, without any force implied.

> What I want is an option to use the tabs as I have used them in the past, with the default size.
> Since "ambiguity" about the tab size appears to be the cause for new python 3 rules, I though of
> an option the make that size explicit. I still think users should somehow have a way to use a
> tab stop of their choice, but how this could be achieved properly is another problem.

What you want and what you think are irrelevant.  The Python language (whatever version) is
already defined.  If you want to use it, you have to accept it and adapt to what it is.  Live
with it and move on.  Complaining about it is a complete waste of time -- it's NOT going to
change just because YOU don't like it.

Frankly, with your continuing to rant about this subject is simply making yourself look like an
obstinate fool.  I've enjoyed following this thread because I find your attitude so ridiculously
amusing.[1]

> I guess a discussion like this thread is the price to be paid for relying solely on white space
> to delimit code blocks, like the python syntax does.

And in actual practice, that has been shown to be a Good Thing.

> Thank you,
> Timothy Madden

      -=- Larry -=-

[1].  I just turned 76 and definitely tend to be a curmudgeon, so sorry if I sound too
insulting, but it is the way I feel.