I hate you all

terminatorul at gmail.com terminatorul at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 17:41:19 EDT 2013

Hello

I just tried python 3.3 with some simple script meant for unit test.

How can python authors be so arrogant to impose their tabs and spaces options on me ? It should be my choice if I want to use tabs or not !

I know people have all goten into this frenzy of using either tabs, either spaces for indentation, but using a hard-tab of 8 spaces and a soft tab of 4 spaces has worked fine long before python 3 showed up.

And if they decided to throw a TabError, they should have at least created an option to specify tab size, so I can work around that.

I am aware that so many editors use a tab stop of 4 spaces instead of 8 (which by the way started as a cheap way to work around their initial lack of a "soft tab stop" option, and then was kept at 4 for "compatibility"). But the rest of us who always use a tab stop of 8 should not be forced to change preferences because python reached version 3.

Timothy Madden