a couple of questions: pickling objects and strict types

John Gordon gordon at panix.com
Fri Apr 5 15:27:30 EDT 2013

In <mailman.159.1365188823.3114.python-list at python.org> "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler at tysdomain.com> writes:

> Hello all:
> I've been using Python for a while now, but I have one larger problem.
> I come from a c++ background; though it doesn't help in catching runtime
> errors, being able to compile a program helps catch a lot of syntax
> errors. I know about pychecker, which is somewhat useful. Do people have
> other methods for handling this?

The py_compile module can catch some obvious syntax errors, such as
incorrect indentation levels or a missing colon at the end of an if
statement.

But it won't catch other errors such as using a variable name before it's
defined.  For that, you can use an external program such as pylint or
pyflakes.

--
John Gordon                   A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
gordon at panix.com              B is for Basil, assaulted by bears