JIT compilers for Python, what is the latest news?

Joshua Landau joshua.landau.ws at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 06:27:34 EDT 2013

On 5 April 2013 03:29, John Ladasky <john_ladasky at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I'm revisiting a project that I haven't touched in over a year.  It was
> written in Python 2.6, and executed on 32-bit Ubuntu 10.10.  I experienced
> a 20% performance increase when I used Psyco, because I had a
> computationally-intensive routine which occupied most of my CPU cycles, and
> always received the same data type.  (Multiprocessing also helped, and I
> was using that too.)
>
> I have now migrated to a 64-bit Ubuntu 12.10.1, and Python 3.3.  I would
> rather not revert to my older configuration.  That being said, it would
> appear from my initial reading that 1) Psyco is considered obsolete and is
> no longer maintained, 2) Psyco is being superseded by PyPy, 3) PyPy doesn't
> support Python 3.x, or 64-bit optimizations.
>
> Do I understand all that correctly?
>
> I guess I can live with the 20% slower execution, but sometimes my code
> would run for three solid days...

If you're not willing to go far, I've heard really, really good things
about Numba. I've not used it, but seriously:
http://jakevdp.github.io/blog/2012/08/24/numba-vs-cython/.

Also, PyPy is fine for 64 bit, even if it doesn't gain much from it. So
going back to 2.7 might give you that 20% back for almost free. It depends
how complex the code is, though.