Python 3.3 Tkinter Fullscreen - Taskbar not Hiding

Rotwang sg552 at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Apr 4 18:21:15 EDT 2013

On 04/04/2013 20:00, Jason Swails wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Rotwang <sg552 at hotmail.co.uk
> <mailto:sg552 at hotmail.co.uk>> wrote:
> [...]
>
>     I don't know whether this applies to the OP's code, but I can think
>     of at least one reason why one would want both "import module" and
>     "from module import*" at the top of one's code: monkey patching.
>

> That was not happening in the OP's code (it actually had no references
> to tkinter after the initial import).

Sure.

> That said, if you change any
> attributes inside tkinter (by binding names inside tkinter to another
> object) after the top three lines, those changes will not percolate down
> to the attributes imported via "from tkinter import *" -- you would
> obviously have to do that work before importing the tkinter namespace
> into the toplevel namespace.

What I had in mind was something like this:

# begin module derp.py

global_variable = 4

def f():
	print('global_variable == %i' % global_variable)

# end module derp.py

 >>> # in the interactive interpreter...
 >>> import derp
 >>> from derp import *
 >>> global_variable = 5
 >>> f()
global_variable == 4
 >>> derp.global_variable = 5
 >>> f()
global_variable == 5

Off the top of my head I don't know whether there's any purpose to doing
that kind of thing with tkinter, but I can conceive that it might be
useful for e.g. changing widget default behaviour or something.

> I'd be interested to see if there's actually an example where someone
> does this in a way that would not be done better another way.

No idea, sorry.