Is there a simple stand alone python app I can use on my Kindle fire?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue Apr 2 01:01:26 EDT 2013

ah <arwh at yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm enjoying learning python, and would like to be able to study and practice
>on the go, using my kindle fire reader. (wifi enabled).
>
>Amazon does have an app, Qpython lite, but requires a  live wifi connection
>to the internet to run. I'm looking for a simple python app, stand alone
>that i can run on my kindle, without an internet connection,  just to
>practice while i learn. (Just a simple terminal, and text editor, and
>python? like ubuntu offers.)

You have identified the ingredients: you need a shell, you need an editor,
and you need the Python interpreter.

Your Kindle is an Android device, which means it runs Linux, but I don't
know whether you have access to the general Android app store.  There
certainly are Android terminal applications available that will bring up a
shell for you.  The one you have is probably enough.

There is also an implemention of Vim for Android that even supports touch
commands.  If you've played with Ubuntu, then you probably already know
Vim.

After that, you'll need Python itself.  Your machine has an ARM processor,
so you'll want to find a Python built for Linux ARM.  I know such things
are available, but you may have to do some creative searching.

Just like Ubuntu, you cannot run Windows applications.  You also cannot run
any x86 or amd64 applications.  You must have ARM binaries.  If you want to
go really crazy, you can get a "cross compiler" for your Ubuntu system that
lets you build ARM binaries.  From there, you could build Python from
source.

>I've tried downloading portable python, and couldnt' get it to run
>('can't run in DOS mode?'),

Of course not.  Portable Python is a Windows product.  Your Kindle doesn't
run Windows.

>I've tried downloading ubuntu to my kindle and couldn't,

Did you download the x86 version?  That will not work.  There are Ubuntu
distributions available for the Kindle Fire, but it's going to require
getting your hands dirty.  Google is your friend here.
Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.