Creating a dictionary from a .txt file

C.T. swilks06 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 19:53:53 EDT 2013

Thanks for all the help everyone! After I manually edited the txt file, this is what I came up with:

car_dict = {}
car_file = open('cars.txt', 'r')

for line in car_file:
    temp = line.strip().split(None, 2)
    temp2 = line.strip().split('\t')

    if len(temp)==3:
        year, manufacturer, model = temp[0] ,temp2[0][5:], temp2[1]
        value = (year, model)
        if manufacturer in car_dict:
            car_dict.setdefault(manufacturer,[]).append(value)
        else:
            car_dict[manufacturer] = [value]

    elif len(temp)==2:
        year, manufacturer, model = temp[0], 'Unknown' , temp2[1]
        value = (year, model)
        if manufacturer in car_dict:
            car_dict.setdefault(manufacturer,[]).append(value)
        else:
            car_dict[manufacturer] = [value]

car_file.close()

print (car_dict)

It may not be the most pythonic way of doing this, but it works for me. I am learning python, and this problem was problem the most challenging so far. Thank you all, again!