Performance of int/long in Python 3

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 05:09:43 EDT 2013

04.04.13 00:57, Chris Angelico написав(ла):
> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 2:07 AM, Steven D'Aprano
>> On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 01:17:28 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>
>>> Probably, but it still has to scan the body of the string. It'd not be
>>> too bad if it's all astral, but if it's all BMP, it has to scan the
>>> whole string. In the max() case, it has to scan the whole string anyway,
>>> as there's no other way to determine the maximum. I'm thinking here of
>>> this function:
>>>
>>> http://pike.lysator.liu.se/generated/manual/modref/ex/7.2_3A_3A/String/
>> width.html
>>>
>>> It's implemented as a simple lookup into the header. (Pike strings, like
>>> PEP 393 strings, are stored in the most compact way possible - 1, 2, or
>>> 4 bytes per character - with a conceptually similar header structure.)
>>> Is this something that would be worth having available? Should I post an
>>> issue about it?
>>
>> I'm not really sure why I would want to know, apart from pure
>> intellectual curiosity, but sure, post a feature request. Be sure to
>> mention that Pike supports this feature.
>
> http://bugs.python.org/issue17629 opened.

See also the discussion at
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.ideas/15640 . I agree with
rejection. This is an implementation detail and different Python
implementations (including future CPython versions) can have different
internal string implementations.