Performance of int/long in Python 3

Joshua Landau joshua.landau.ws at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 18:40:01 EDT 2013

The initial post posited:
"The Python 3 merge of int and long has effectively penalized
small-number arithmetic by removing an optimization. As we've seen
from PEP 393 strings (jmf aside), there can be huge benefits from
having a single type with multiple representations internally. Is
there value in making the int type have a machine-word optimization in
the same way?"

Thanks to the fervent response jmf has gotten, the point above has been
mostly abandoned  May I request that next time such an obvious diversion
(aka. jmf) occurs, responses happen in a different thread?