Coexistence of Python 2.x and 3.x on same OS

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 15:38:00 EDT 2012

On 2012.09.30 14:14, Edward Diener wrote:
> The situation is so confusing on Windows, where the file associations,
> registry entries, and other internal software which allows a given
> Python release to work properly when invoking Python is so complicated,
> that I have given up on trying to install more than one Python release
> and finding a relaible, foolproof way of switching between them. So
> although I would like to use the latest 3.x series on Windows I have
> decide to stick with the latest 2.x series instead because much software
> using Python does not support 3.x yet.

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0397/

Unix-based OSes should already obey the shebang line, and on Windows,
there's py.exe in 3.3 that will launch the intended version based on
that shebang line. While I was using the alpha/beta versions of 3.3, I
had no problems invoking either 3.2 or 3.3 with the shebang line on Windows.
--
CPython 3.3.0 | Windows NT 6.1.7601.17835