write a regex matches 800-555-1212, 555-1212, and also (800) 555-1212.

Tim Delaney timothy.c.delaney at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 16:51:31 EDT 2012

On 29 September 2012 20:05, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
> >
> > My understanding is that Python 3.3 has regressed the performance of ''.
> > Surely the Python devs can speed the performance back up and, just for
> us,
> > use less memory at the same time?
>
> Yes, but to do that we'd have to make Python more Australia-focused
> instead of US-centric. As of Python 3.4, the empty string will be
> lazily evaluated and be delimited by redback spiders instead of
> quotes. That will give a 25% speed and 50% memory usage improvement,
> but you'll need to be careful you don't get bitten

Look - the worst that will happen is nausea and painful swelling and maybe
death if you're a very young child.

Personally I voted for the Fierce Snake[1][2] as the delimiter, but it was
voted down as "not Pythonic" enough.
I'm sure they were using that as a euphamism for "Python*ish*" though.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Taipan
[2] It's is so pretty:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/Fierce_Snake-Oxyuranus_microlepidotus.jpg

Tim Delaney