Article on the future of Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 10:58:51 EDT 2012

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:31 AM, Dennis Lee Bieber
<wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 14:37:21 +1000, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>
>

>> For further details, poke around on the web; I'm sure you'll find
>> plenty of good blog posts etc. But as for me and my house, we will
>> have Postgres serve us.
>>

>         Please, at least use the proper name... "Postgres" is a non-SQL
> database inspired by Ingres. "PostgreSQL" is Postgres with an SQL query
> engine.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/history.html
"Many people continue to refer to PostgreSQL as "Postgres" (now rarely
in all capital letters) because of tradition or because it is easier
to pronounce. This usage is widely accepted as a nickname or alias."

There's lots of internal documentation that references "Postgres". I
don't see it as that big a deal.

>         On my side... I have MySQL running on my desktop. When I started,
> MySQL had a native build that would run on Win9X; PostgreSQL at the time
> required installing a Cygwin environment.
>
>         MySQL v5 has improved a lot from those days (v3)... It now supports
> stored procedures, triggers, a form of views, and prepared statements
> (though MySQLdb is still pre v5 and sends completely formatted string
> queries). They've even added GIS capabilities. (And then there is the
> "drop-in" replacement for MySQL -- MariaDB:
> http://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-vs-mysql-compatibility/ )

Yes, MySQL has definitely improved. There was a time when its
unreliability applied to all your data too, but now you can just click
in InnoDB and have mostly-real transaction support etc. But there's
still a lot of work that by requirement happens outside of
transactions - MySQL doesn't let you roll back DDL, for instance.

ChrisA