Article on the future of Python

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Sep 28 08:54:55 EDT 2012

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 05:08:24 -0700, rusi wrote:

> On Sep 27, 5:11 pm, Devin Jeanpierre <jeanpierr... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 2:13 AM, Steven D'Aprano
>>
>> <steve+comp.lang.pyt... at pearwood.info> wrote:
>> > On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 09:15:00 +0100, Mark Lawrence wrote: And a
>> > response:
>>
>> >http://data.geek.nz/python-is-doing-just-fine
>>
>> Summary of that article:
>>
>> "Sure, you have all these legitimate concerns, but look, cake!"
>>
>> -- Devin
>
> My summary of the first (worried about python) article: Python is about
> to miss the Bell's law bus:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell%27s_Law_of_Computer_Classes

Except that very concept is stupid. Mainframes have not be replaced.
There are more mainframes around today than fifty years ago.
Minicomputers too, only we don't call them minicomputers, we call them
"servers".

In ten years time, there will be more desktop PCs around than now. Most
of them will be in the 90% of the world that isn't America. And most of
them will be laptops. But they'll be used as desktops too. Not everybody
wants to read email on a device smaller than your hand, clumsily poking
at a tiny virtual keyboard.

And anybody who thinks that Python can't run on tablets or smartphones
hasn't been paying attention.

--
Steven