Article on the future of Python

Wayne Werner wayne at waynewerner.com
Thu Sep 27 23:37:36 EDT 2012

> On 9/27/2012 9:05 PM, Jason Friedman wrote:
>>> Fair enough, but it's the M in the LAMP stack I object to. I'd much
>>> rather have P.
>> +1
>

> I know this isn't the list for database discussions, but I've never gotten a
> decent answer. I don't know much about either, so I'm kind of curious why
> postgresql over mysql?

I'll try not to get too OT... I had previously just used MySQL (and
SQLite), but have been reaading some PostGres stuff lately. I took a look
around and basically... you and I won't know or notice a difference
probably ever. There's all sorts of crazy tweaks you can get for
reliability, speed, and backups depending on what you use. So the only
advice I can give on that is just learn to use both.

And even better yet, just use SQLAlchemy if you're ever touching a
database from Python because it handles all the mucky SQL for you - you
just define the ORM. (Hey look! A Python module!)

My $0.02
-Wayne