Reducing cache/buffer for faster display

Rikishi42 skunkworks at rikishi42.net
Thu Sep 27 17:57:00 EDT 2012

I have these 2 scripts that are very heavy on the file i/o, consume a very
reasonable amount of cpu and output their counters at a - very - relaxed
pace to the console. The output is very simply done using something like:

   print "files:", nFiles, "\r",

Yet alltough there is no real reason for it, even a pace of a print every
10-30 secs will be cached, only to actually show an output update every 1-2
min or so.

When I run the scripts with "python -u myscript.py", the output is complete,
very speedy and without any kind of impact on the actual work being one.

Can this option be called from within the script? Or is there another option
to make the display "a bit" speedier ?

Runnning Python 2.7.3, but it seems to me I've allready had this problem a
long, long time ago with other releases.

--
When in doubt, use brute force.
                -- Ken Thompson