python application file format

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu Sep 27 02:55:20 EDT 2012

Benjamin Jessup <bsj at abzinc.com> writes:

> What do people recommend for a file format for a python desktop
> application? Data is complex with 100s/1000s of class instances, which
> reference each other.

> Use cPickle with a module/class whitelist? (Can't easily port, not
> entirely safe, compact enough, expandable)

This is the approach used by the ZODB (Zope Object DataBase).

I like the ZODB. It is really quite easy to get data persisted.
It uses an elaborate caching scheme to speed up database interaction
and has transaction control to ensure persistent data consistency
in case of errors.

Maybe not so relevant in your context, it does not require
locking to safely access persistent data in a multi thread environment.