Article on the future of Python

Hannu Krosing hannu at krosing.net
Wed Sep 26 06:01:28 EDT 2012

On 09/26/2012 10:32 AM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 26/09/2012 05:10, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Steven D'Aprano
>> <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
>>> SQL? ... it's time to sell your shares in Oracle.
>>
>> Ehh, I wouldn't be investing in Oracle, but that's more because I
>> think free RDBMSes like PostgreSQL outshine it. And this is even more
>> true of MS SQL Server - this last week I've been researching options
>> for moving work's services to the cloud, and SQL Server licenses cost
>> ridiculous amounts (per month or per hour); what do you get for that
>> money that you can't get from Postgres?
>>
>> ChrisA
>>

> Maybe true but do free RDBMes have the sales and marketing budgets
> that effectively shot down Ingres?

Nope. They don't have budget to shoot down Ingres.

Also, free RDBMs do not engage in dubious promise-and-dont-deliver-
then-ask-more-money sales policies that got Oracle kicked out of US
Government simplified buying processes.

You can get only so far using "sales". At some point you have to deliver.

Hannu