Article on the future of Python

wxjmfauth at gmail.com wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 05:31:24 EDT 2012

Le mercredi 26 septembre 2012 09:23:47 UTC+2, Steven D'Aprano a écrit :
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 23:35:39 -0700, wxjmfauth wrote:
>

> > Py 3.3 succeeded to somehow kill unicode and it has been transformed
>
> > into an "American" product for "American" users.

Steven,

you are correct. But the price you pay for this is extremely
high. Now, practically all characters are affected, espacially
those *in* the Basic *** Multilingual*** Plane, these characters
used by non "American" user (No offense here, I just use this
word for ascii/latin-1).

I'm ready to be considered as an idiot, but I'm not blind.
As soon as I tested these characters, Py3.3 performs really
badly. It seems to me it is legitimate to consider, there
is a serious problem here.

- I'm speaking about "language characters", one should speak
about "scripting characters".
- Obviously affected are not only the "language characters",
but all characters, typographical signs, polytonic Greek,
up to mathematical "Bold italic sans serif, Latin, uppercase",
logically because all the "code points" are equivalent.

Many people are commmenting, I have the feeling, I'm the only
one who tested this. It is not necessary to dive in the Python
code, understanding all this "characters stuff" is enough.

And I am sorry, just saying "if you are not happy, switch
back to Python 2.7 or use Ruby" (you know where you can
read it) is in my mind not a correct answer. It only
reflect a "yes, there is a problem, but..."

Do not worry about me, I attempt to keep a neutral eye.
It is my point of view (and facts). I will not open a blog
with a "Python blah, blah, blah".

jmf