PIL questions: still supported? Problems on 2.7 for win? alternatives?

Gelonida N gelonida at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 04:25:26 EDT 2012

On 09/25/2012 01:38 AM, alex23 wrote:
> On Sep 25, 6:04 am, Gelonida N <gelon... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This all does not sound very comforting. Why is there no fix on the
>> official site?
>
> Has a bug been logged about the issue?
>
> The Plone community keeps a fairly up-to-date fork called Pillow,
> we've had a lot of success using that locally:
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Pillow/

Thanks for all your answers.

So it seems to be safe to use either Christoph' binary PIL distribution
or to use Pillow.

The fact, that pillow is accessable via PyPi / easy_install / PIP pushes
me slightly towards pillow.

I assume it's best to uninstall PIL before installing pillow.

How much would I confuse easy_install / pip in a normal windows
non virutal environment if I didn't uninstall PIP before (or even worse
if I installed PIL, then pillow and uninstalled then PIL)

(Just anticipating all the smart thigns, that my collegues (or myself)
might do

On a Linux machine:
What would happen in a virtualenv with sitepackages (amonst them PIL
installed and a pillow installed ontop of it?
I don't think I can uninstall PIL, as many distro packages depend on it.
I don't want to create a virtualenv without site packages, as I have
many dependencies and some of them are a little tricky to compile.