Java singletonMap in Python

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 15:22:07 EDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Purely for fun I've been porting some code to Python and came across the
> singletonMap[1].  I'm aware that there are loads of recipes on the web for
> both singletons e.g.[2] and immutable dictionaries e.g.[3].  I was wondering
> how to combine any of the recipes to produce the best implementation

The word "singleton" usually means "thing with only one item". For
example, {a} is a singleton set containing only a, and with matrices,
any dimension of size one is called a singleton dimension, and so on.
In this case, a singleton map is a map with only one key-value pair,
such as {a:b}.

The singleton design antipattern is not relevant here.

-- Devin