pyOpenSSL -> m2crypto conversion?

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Sun Sep 23 19:19:07 EDT 2012

Hi,

gajim (http://gajim.org, Jabber/XMPP instatnt messenger written in
PyGtk) uses for crypto mix of some functions from the standard library,
pyOpenSSL for SSL communication, and python-crypto for E2E (encryption
of the messages ... uses RSA and AES; see
https://trac.gajim.org/ticket/5294 for more details).

Now I would like to unify external crypto libraries just to m2crypto (a)
I think using two crypto libraries is suspicious, b) I would like to
eliminate use python-crypto to minimize general number of crypto
libraries), for which I would like to first of all port pyOpenSSL-using
code to m2crypto. Is there some HOWTO/blogpost/examples of doing so, or
is there some help in m2crypto for that? Both libraries are bindings
over OpenSSL, so I hope it wouldn't be that difficult.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/pyopenssl/+bug/236170/comments/22 seems to
suggest that there might be some pyOpenSSL compatibility wrapper for
m2crypto ... do I understand it correctly?

Any suggestoins, help is highly welcomed.

Thank you in advance,

Matěj Cepl