Editing Inkscape SVG files with Python?

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 19:08:08 EDT 2012

On 23 September 2012 23:53, Steven D'Aprano <
steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:

> I have some SVG files generated with Inkscape containing many text blocks
> (over 100). I wish to programmatically modify those text blocks using
> Python. Is there a library I should be using, or any other guidelines or
> advice anyone can give me?
>
> Googling for "python inkscape" comes up with too many hits for Inkscape's
> plugin system to be much help to me.

I thought for a moment that PyX would do it. I just checked their roadmap
though and SVG support is "not started":
http://pyx.sourceforge.net/roadmap.html

Since SVG files are a type of XML and you only want to modify the text
blocks can you not just use an XML library?

Alternatively, if you don't get an answer here it might be worth trying the
PyX-user list.

Oscar