How to apply the user's HTML environment in a Python programme?

Thomas Jollans t at jollybox.de
Sat Sep 22 08:01:29 EDT 2012

On 09/21/2012 02:57 PM, BobAalsma wrote:
> I'd like to write a programme that will be offered as a web service (Django), in which the user will point to a specific URL and the programme will be used to read the text of that URL.
>
> This text can be behind a username/password, but for several reasons, I don't want to know those.
>
> So I would like to set up a situation where the user logs in (if/when appropriate), points out the URL to my programme and my programme would then be able to read that particular text.
>
> I'm aware this may sound fishy. It should not be: I want the user to be fully aware and in control of this process.
>
> Any thoughts on how to approach this?

What services are you planning to interface with? Many services (twitter
being a notable pioneer) have systems for external (web) applications to
log in without being given a user's username & password.

I think it's possible to load a page in an iframe and access it using
JavaScript/DOM from the parent page. This is probably what you'll want
to do.

You say you don't know the first thing about JavaScript. Well, my
friend, if you're developing for the web, learn JavaScript, or,
depending on your situation, hire a front end developer who knows
JavaScript. You can only do so much on the web without using JavaScript.
I recently discovered this guide to learning JS; it sounds reasonable:
http://javascriptissexy.com/how-to-learn-javascript-properly/

http://pyjs.org/ may be worth a look too.

-- Thomas

PS: Most of your messages appear to be both To: and Cc: this list.
Please stop sending each message twice, it's rather distracting.