How to apply the user's HTML environment in a Python programme?

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 10:15:26 EDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM, BobAalsma <overhaalsgang_24_bob at me.com> wrote:
> Op vrijdag 21 september 2012 15:36:11 UTC+2 schreef Jerry Hill het volgende:
>> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 9:31 AM, BobAalsma wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks, Joel, yes, but as far as I'm aware these would all require the Python programme to have the user's username and password (or "credentials"), which I wanted to avoid.
>>

>> No matter what you do, your web service is going to have to
>>
>> authenticate with the remote web site.  The details of that
>>
>> authentication are going to vary with each remote web site you want to
>>
>> connect to.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Jerry
>
> Hmm, from the previous posts I get the impression that I could best solve this by asking the user for the specific combination of username, password and URL + promising not to keep any of that...
>
> OK, that does sound doable - thank you all

I recommend that you write your program to read pages that are not
protected.  Once you get that working, you can go back and figure out
how you want to get the username/password from your 'friends' and add
that in.  Also look up Beautiful Soup (version 4) for a great library
to parse the pages that you retrieve

> Bob
> --

Joel Goldstick