Using dict as object

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Wed Sep 19 07:45:38 EDT 2012

On 09/19/2012 06:24 AM, Pierre Tardy wrote:
> One thing that is cooler with java-script than in python is that dictionaries and objects are the same thing. It allows browsing of complex hierarchical data syntactically easy.

You probably need some different terminology, since a dictionary is
already an object.  So's an int, or a list, or anything else visible in
python.  You're trying to blur the distinction between attribute access
and access by key (square brackets).

> For manipulating complex jsonable data, one will always prefer writing:
> buildrequest.properties.myprop
> rather than
> brdict['properties']['myprop']

So what you want is to provide a dict-like class which has both a
__getitem__ and a __getattribute__, which produces mostly the same
results, if the parameters happen to be reasonable and not conflict with
other methods.  (Similar for *set*, *del*, and __contains__ and maybe
others).  This has been proposed and discussed and even implemented many
times on this list and others.

> This ability in JS is well known for its flaws (e.g. http://drupal.org/node/172169#forin ), and I understand why this is not a feature that we want in python by default. I did work on class that adds this feature, and that I wish to use for manipulating my json data.

There are many more flaws than just the hiding of certain items because
of existing attributes.  Additionally, this would only work for items
whose keys are strings, and are strings that happen to be legal symbol
names and not keywords.  If you also support __setitem__ or __delitem__
you run the risk of arbitrary code trashing the code that makes the
class work.

> The following github pull request to buildbot has tests that defines specification of such a class, and has several commits, which gives several implementation of the same thing.
> https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/pull/525
>
> All implementation I tried are much slower than a pure native dict access.
> Each implementation have bench results in commit comment. All of them are 20+x slower than plain dict!

Assuming you're talking about CPython benchmarks, the dict is highly
optimized, C code.  And when you provide your own __getitem__
implementation in pure python, there are many attribute accesses, just
to make the code work.

> I would like to have python guys advices on how one could optimize this.

Use C code and slots.

> I'd like to eventually post this to python-dev, please tell if this is really not a good idea.
>
> Regards,
> Pierre

if you're proposing a new module for the stdlib, one of the (unstated?)
requirements is that it be in regular use by a fairly large audience for
a while.

--

DaveA