reportlab and python 3

wxjmfauth at gmail.com wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 13:10:46 EDT 2012

Le mardi 18 septembre 2012 15:31:52 UTC+2, Laszlo Nagy a écrit :
> > I understood, you have Python on a platform and starting
>
> > from this you wish to create pdf files.
>
> > Obviously, embedding "TeX" is practically a no solution,
>
> > although distibuting a portable standalone TeX distribution
>
> > is a perfectly viable solution, especially on Windows!
>

> > To "I wanted to learn TeX anyway.":
>
> > I can only warmly recommend to start with one of the two
>
> > unicode compliant engines, LuaTeX or XeTeX.
>
> All right. Which one is the better? :-) I'm totally a beginner. I would
>
> also like to use mathematical expressions but I guess they are both
>
> capable of that. Another requirement would be: easy installation under
>
> unix and windows, good multilingual support.

I basically recommend nothing. I pointed the LuaTeX or
Xe(La)TeX engines because there are the unicode compliant
engines. Today, most of the work target these engines.

By Unicode compliance, you should not understand only
the coding of characters, but everything which is related
to the unicode technology (characters, unicode features,
typography, font technology).

"...good multilingual support. ..."
Don't worry. It's much better than the future of Python ;-)

FYI I'm not a expert. I have only accumulated experience, I wrote
my first TeX document 20(?) years ago. Now, I use XeLaTeX from
MiKTeX on Win7. Why? Answer: why not?

jmf