newbie question : gedit as an ide

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 10:28:16 EDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh at kathe.in> wrote:
> new to the group, a quick hello to all.  :-)
> does anyone use gedit as an 'ide' for python development?
> if yes, may i know the caveats against using 'idle', 'bpython', etc?

bpython isn't an IDE, it's a good interactive interpreter.

As for gedit as an editor... it's actually really bad, but fixable if
you install plugins. e.g., it doesn't have builtin support for case
sensitive / regexp search and so on, but these can be added so that
gedit becomes tolerable. In fact, one of gedit's main advantages over
many of its similar competitors (in particular I'm thinking of Kate)
is that the plugin support is very strong, so if it doesn't do what
you want, you can make it do what you want anyway.

So, install / enable plugins. Lots of them. Or use an editor designed
for programmers first, such as Kate or vim or emacs.

-- Devin