Decorators not worth the effort

88888 Dihedral dihedral88888 at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 15 05:45:42 EDT 2012

Steven D'Aprano於 2012年9月15日星期六UTC+8上午7時39分28秒寫道:
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 15:16:47 -0600, Ian Kelly wrote:
>

> > If only there were a conceptually simpler way to do this.  Actually,
>
> > there is.  I give you: metadecorators!
>
> [code snipped but shown below]
>
> > Which I think is certainly easier to understand than the nested
>
> > functions approach.
>

> Maybe for you, but to me it is a big ball of mud. I have no idea how this
>
> is supposed to work! At a quick glance, I would have sworn that it
>
> *can't* work, since simple_decorator needs to see multiple arguments but
>
> only receives one, the function to be decorated. And yet it does work:
>

> py> from functools import partial
>
> py> def make_wrapper(wrapper):
>
> ...     return lambda wrapped: partial(wrapper, wrapped)

> py> @make_wrapper
>
> ... def simple_decorator(func, *args, **kwargs):
>
> ...     print "Entering decorated function"
>
> ...     result = func(*args, **kwargs)
>
> ...     print "Exiting decorated function"
>
> ...     return result

> py> @simple_decorator
>
> ... def my_function(a, b, c):
>
> ...     """Doc string"""
>
> ...     return a+b+c

> py> my_function(1, 2, 3)
>
> Entering decorated function
>
> Exiting decorated function
>
> 6
>

> So to me, this is far more magical than nested functions. If I saw this
>
> in t requires me to hunt through your library for the "simple function
>
> buried in a utility module somewhere" (your words), instead of seeing
>
> everything needed in a single decorator factory function. It requires
>
> that I understand how partial works, which in my opinion is quite tricky.
>
> (I never remember how it works or which arguments get curried.)
>

> And the end result is that the decorated function is less debugging-
>
> friendly than I demand: it is an anonymous partial object instead of a
>
> named function, and the doc string is lost. And it is far from clear to
>
> me how to modify your recipe to use functools.wraps in order to keep the
>
> name and docstring, or even whether I *can* use functools.wraps.
>

> I dare say I could answer all those questions with some experimentation
>
> and research. But I don't think that your "metadecorator" using partial
>
> is *inherently* more understandable than the standard decorator approach:
>

> def simple_decorator2(func):
>
>     @functools.wraps(func)
>
>     def inner(*args, **kwargs):
>
>         print "Entering decorated function"
>
>         result = func(*args, **kwargs)
>
>         print "Exiting decorated function"
>
>         return result
>
>     return inner
>

> This is no more complex than yours, and it keeps the function name and
>
> docstring.
>

> > Parameterized decorators are not much more
>
> > difficult this way.  This function:
>
> [snip code]
>
> > And now we have a fancy parameterized decorator that again requires no
>
> > thinking about nested functions at all.

> [...]

I think the problem is not in the replaced f.__doc__.

def MIGHT_FAIL(f, MSG, *k, **h):

# use MSG to determine whether  to invoke f or not
# and do an error catch  here
     def innner(f): .....
     # get the right info of  f here for any trapped error
     #return inner, result
     return inner