Decorators not worth the effort

Thomas Rachel nutznetz-0c1b6768-bfa9-48d5-a470-7603bd3aa915 at spamschutz.glglgl.de
Sat Sep 15 03:13:16 EDT 2012

[Sorry, my Firefox destroyed the indent...

Am 14.09.2012 22:29 schrieb Terry Reedy:

> In other words
>
> def make_wrapper(func, param):
> def wrapper(*args, **kwds):
> for i in range(param):
> func(*args, **kwds)
> return wrapper
>
> def f(x): print(x)
> f = make_wrapper(f, 2)
> f('simple')
>
> # is simpler, at least for some people, than the following
> # which does essentially the same thing.
>
> def make_outer(param):
> def make_inner(func):
> def wrapper(*args, **kwds):
> for i in range(param):
> func(*args, **kwds)
> return wrapper
> return make_inner
>
> @make_outer(2)
> def f(x): print(x)
> f('complex')

For this case, my mydeco.py which I use quite often contains a

def indirdeco(ind):
     # Update both the outer as well as the inner wrapper.
     # If we knew the inner one was to be updated with something
     # from *a, **k, we could do it. But not this way...
     @functools.wraps(ind)
     def outer(*a, **k):
         @functools.wraps(ind)
         def inner(f):
             return ind(f, *a, **k)
         return inner
     return outer

so I can do

@indirdeco
def make_wrapper(func, param):
     @functools.wraps(func)
     def wrapper(*args, **kwds):
         for i in range(param):
             func(*args, **kwds)
     return wrapper

and then nevertheless

@make_wrapper(2)
def f(x): print(x)

BTW, I also have a "meta-decorator" for the other direction:

def wrapfunction(mighty):
     """Wrap a function taking (f, *a, **k) and replace it with a
     function taking (f) and returning a function taking (*a, **k) which
     calls our decorated function.
     Other direction than indirdeco."""
     @functools.wraps(mighty)
     def wrapped_outer(inner):
         @functools.wraps(inner)
         def wrapped_inner(*a, **k):
             return mighty(inner, *a, **k)
         wrapped_inner.func = inner # keep the wrapped function
         wrapped_inner.wrapper = mighty # and the replacement
         return wrapped_inner
     wrapped_outer.func = mighty # keep this as well
     return wrapped_outer

With this, a

@wrapfunction
def twice(func, *a, **k):