Comparing strings from the back?

Dwight Hutto dwightdhutto at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 15:37:42 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Prasad, Ramit
<ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com> wrote:
> Dwight Hutto wrote:
>> Why don' you just time it,eit lops through incrementing thmax input/
>
> What? Without context I have no idea what this means.
>

> Ramit

Why don't you read the OP:

Let's assume you're testing two strings for equality.  You've already
done the obvious quick tests (i.e they're the same length), and you're
down to the O(n) part of comparing every character.

I'm wondering if it might be faster to start at the ends of the strings
instead of at the beginning?  If the strings are indeed equal, it's the
same amount of work starting from either end.  But, if it turns out that
for real-life situations, the ends of strings have more entropy than the
beginnings, the odds are you'll discover that they're unequal quicker by
starting at the end.

and this one from me:

First include len(string)/2, in order to include starting at the
center of the string, and threading/weaving by 2 processes out.

import timeit

 do the the rest, and see which has the fastest time.> --

Why don't take the time to read the OP, and ramit in your head?

Remember that you're in the middle of a conversation where the OP is
following as it goes along, so anyone reading the entire set of
postings should get it.

But for people who just want to jump in, and assume that the only
thing that matters is one piece, without reading the entire content of
the conversation, will always have something out of context for them.

--
Best Regards,
David Hutto